Friday, April 10, 2009

Faeries, an obcession or a calling?

More copypasta time. I just posted this to another online community and I wanted to share it here as well. It's copypasta of myself though, posting in an online forums, as is my cosmology section.

Faeries obsession or calling?

First of all, let me explain my concepts of callings, and how I differ from believers in "otherkinism" in my obsession with fairies. I believe the metaphysical to be just as complex structurally as the physical. When I say that I believe that I may have soul chemistry that is compatible with faeries, or leads me into this direction, I am by no means claiming to be a faery in a human body. I believe people have certain aspects of their soul that draw them to certain things, as I believe our spiritual composition affects to some extent, our psychology in the real world. I actually explain the concept of otherkinism to myself in this way. Some people may have something in their spirit that draws them to certain iconography and imagery, as well as towards different spiritual practices and different callings and vocations in life. People claiming to be otherkin, are simply being mislead by this spiritual draw they have into taking it to the next level. I do not mean this as a put down or insult to otherkin in any way however, it's simply how I explain the idea in my beliefs about cosmology.

The only concepts I have really to go off of what fairies are or are not, is fantasy, so I really have no valid definition of a fairy. Elves supposedly orginated in Norse mythology, which would make Ásatrú (sp?) a definite area of interest. Nymphs and Satyrs supposedly came from Greek mythos, making Hellenistic polytheism of equal relevance. When seeking the answer to what the modern concept of fairy comes from, I tend to get a hodgepodge of traditions and cultures, some of them open, some closed, some I have absolutely no idea about, so It's hard to be certain what makes a faerie a faerie, and not some other form of mythological, otherworldly, chimerical, or supernatural creature. Where exactly did the term itself come from and from what culture, or is classifying them as faeries simply a modern invention, to classify groups of supernatural?

I am equally interested in the notion of another world interacting with ours. I have no knowledge of where that idea came from necessarily but as a recurring theme in fairy fantasy, I want to know whether it's a modern concept, or borrowed from older traditions. What of goblins, brownies, pixies, and dryads? No I don't believe every single one of these entities to exist in the forms they are presented in fantasy, but I'd like to start putting them in their original context, so I can make some kind of decision about what to believe, what to admire, and what to simply let be.

Before I worry about believing in something I have no proof of or even a sound definition of, I want to make sure I'm not guilty of any kind of cultural misappropriation. I know I'm not using these ideas to harm anyone, so the idea that my fascination, both academic and spiritual was in some way immoral, never crossed my mind until I started stumbling into the beliefs of a closed tradition, namely that of the Irish. I never meant to imply that I was of the Gael, nor would I have knowingly made such an implication, so if by speaking of fairies, I'm actually invoking beings of a closed tradition, please correct me. It will be difficult to let go of something I've held on to for so long, so forgive me if there is a grieving period, I mean not to steal from closed cultures, but I've also held a special place for these beliefs silly though they may be, in my heart for a long time.

Also I'm aware that all of this may just be an obsession with fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment